Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Was It A Good Deal?

I don't know if the current deal in Congress that allowed the Debt Ceiling to be raised was a good deal or not.  I don't feel that it was, but everyone is applauding it.  But I do know that it was NOT a compromise.  During the weeks leading to this vote in the House, all I heard about was all of the concessions that the President was giving.  Nothing from the opposing side. 
What I saw was members of  the House of Representatives that are loyal to the Tea Party but members of the GOP basically held our economy hostage.  This may seem a bit harsh but I can't think of another way of putting it.  How is acting what would be considered a temper tantrum and threatening to destroy our countries credibility and economy anything but a hostage situation?  Another point I want to make....YOU DO NOT REPRESENT ME, MY VIEWS, MY BELIEFS, OR MY CONCERNS.  PERIOD.  I do not know of any DECENT people that share your views or beliefs. 

In this last round of "negotiations" (I use the term loosely because what it really was was a Tea Party temper tantrum) the Tea Party affiliated GOP members threatened to stop any legislation that would raise the debt ceiling.  They held our credit rating hostage.  The Democrats paid the ranson.  But what consequences do you think the Tea Partyu has paid? They got what they wanted. They control the GOP. I'm pissed because no one is standing up to them. Basically what happened was that we tanked the economy in order to save it. Does that make sense? I can't put my head around the whole situation about what happened. If the Tea Party wouldn't compromise on this...what makes anyone beleive that they will compromise in the future?

This is why I was concerned about the "negotiations" that resulted in the current "compromises". They feel empowered and they will repeat there actions as long as it gets them what they want. I raised 2 children and found that children will only use temper tantrums as long as they think they will work. Bullies will bully you as long as they know they can get away with it and there are no consequences. 

So, my question is this.  Are you one of those that elected a Tea Party affiliated representative?  Are you satisfied with your decision?  Did you want them to completely disregard democracy and become spoiled brats on your behalf?  If so, then don't be surprised when your neighbors start to reciprocate you with the same type of behavior towards you.  Uncompromising can work both ways.

No comments: